Colonel Shannon D. Smith is commander of the 124th Operations Group of the 124th Fighter Wing, Idaho Air National Guard, Boise, Idaho. The Operations Group consists of the 190th Fighter Squadron, the 124th Air Support Operations Squadron (ASOS), and the 124th Operations Support Squadron (OSS). His group directly provides combat power from pilots who fly the A-10C Thunderbolt II, the Tactical Air Control Parties of the ASOS, and mission support specialists in the OSS.
Prior to this position, he served as Commander, 124th Maintenance Group, and before that as Deputy Commander, 124th Operations Group. Colonel Smith has served the Idaho Air National Guard as Director of Operations and Commander, 190th Fighter Squadron, flying the A-10C Warthog. He held the position of Fighter Wing Chief of Safety and deployed to Operation ENDURING FREEDOM as Deputy Commander, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Air Base Afghanistan.
Colonel Smith began his military career in May 1992 when he received a regular commission as a second lieutenant from the Montana State University ROTC program. He then served ten years on active duty flying the A-10A in the 75th and 355th Fighter Squadrons and the 66th Weapons Squadron. Colonel Smith is a graduate of the USAF Weapons School, Class 98BIV. He returned as an Instructor in 2000 where he completed his active duty service commitment. Colonel Smith transitioned to the Idaho Air National Guard in 2002. He has deployed in support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM.
Col. Smith is married and has two sons.
1992 Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Montana State University
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB
2005 Air Command and Staff College (non-residence)
2012 Air War College (non-residence)
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, Ft McNair
1. Apr 93 - May 94, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 80 FTW, Sheppard AFB, TX
2. May 94 - Jul 94, Intro to Fighter Fundamentals, 80 FTW, Sheppard AFB, TX
3. Sep 94 - Mar 95, A-10 Qual Training, 357 FS, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
4. Apr 95 - Aug 97, Flight Lead, Asst. Chief of Scheduling, 75 FS, Pope AFB, NC
5. Sep 97 - Jun 98, Forward Air Controller, A-10 Instructor, Chief of Plans, FLTCC, 355 FS, Eielson AFB, AK
6. Jul 98 - Dec 98, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, NV
7. Jan 99 - Nov 00, Weapons Officer, FLTCC, 355 FS, Eielson AFB, AK
8. Dec 00 - Apr 02, Weapons Instructor Pilot, FLTCC, SELO, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, NV
9. May 02 - Dec 11, Weapons Officer, Flight Evaluator, Chief of Training, Asst Director of Operations, Fighter Wing Chief of Safety, Fighter Squadron Director of Operations
10. Jan 12 - Apr 13, Commander, 190th Fighter Squadron
11. *May 13 - Oct 13, Deputy Operations Group Commander, 455 Expeditionary Operations Group, 455 Air Expeditionary Wing
12. May 13 - Jul 14, Deputy Commander, 124th Operations Group
13. Jul 14 - May 15, Commander, 124th Maintenance Group
14. Jun 15 to present, Commander, 124th Operations Group
Operation SOUTHERN WATCH (2 tours)
Operation IRAQI FREEDOM (2 tours)
Operation ENDURING FREEDOM (2 tours)
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: Total: 4155, A-10: 3855, Combat: 558
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, A-10A, A-10A+, A-10C
Meritorious Service Medal (4 devices)
Air Medal (6 devices)
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal (1 device)