Speaker challenges Wing members with 10 Points for Success
By Capt. Tony Vincelli, 124th Fighter Wing Public Affairs Officer
/ Published December 14, 2009
BOISE, Idaho --
For the past several years, few organizations have realized the level of success of the Boise State Broncos football program.
On Dec. 11, one of the key members of that group spoke to many of the key members of our group.
Director of Football Operations Viliami Tuivai spoke to 300 wing members and distinguished guests at the annual Guardsman of the Year banquet held at the Grove Hotel in Boise.
In a departure from past years' keynote addresses, Coach Tuivai's talk was less military-focused. Rather, he focused on the key characteristics of all successful organizations, like the Broncos.
Here is a list of Coach Viliami's 10 Points For Success:
1. Character - knowing the difference between right and wrong and acting as such.
2. Integrity - build and guard your reputation. Perception is who people think you are; reputation is who you are according your actions.
3. Work Ethic - innate drive to do whatever it takes and going above and beyond what is expected.
4. Discipline - ability to do the mundane over and over because it's your job.
5. Respect - value and honor all people no matter what they can do for you or to you.
6. Commitment - doing what you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you.
7. Audacity to Dream - daring to live your life as you see yourself, not as others see you; possess a "why not?!" attitude.
8. Spectacular Attitude - you can't control what happens to you, but you can control how you respond to it.
9. Know-how and expertise - practical knowledge of the jobs and duties needed to be done.
10. Produce/Win - the ability to finish on top.