Col Chad W. Kornberg is the Commander of the 124th Fighter Wing, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho. As Commander, he ensures the continued readiness of more than 1,200 Airmen, supporting both the state and federal mission. The organization’s primary missions are to provide close air support and forward air control, defensive cyber operations, and combat-ready special warfare Airmen to combat troops in support of combat operations abroad, as well as providing ready Airmen to respond to stateside emergencies at a moment’s notice.
Col Kornberg is a native of Seattle Washington. He graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in 1993, where he earned his Baccalaureate degree in Aeronautical Science with an Associate’s degree in Aviation Safety. His civilian flying experience includes flight instructor, first officer for SkyWest Airlines and is currently a first officer with Alaska Airlines based out of Seattle.
He joined the Idaho Air National Guard in 1996 earned his commission through AMS and completed Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1998 at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas. Col Kornberg was a traditional pilot with the 190th Fighter Squadron and served as the 124th Operations Support Flight Commander and Maintenance Squadron Commander. Col Kornberg spent a year in the Conversions Division of the Air National Guard Readiness center prior to becoming the Deputy Maintenance Group Commander in 2015 and the Maintenance Group Commander in 2018. He has deployed in support of Operation Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
1993 Bachelors Degree of Science, Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL.
1998 Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base (AFB), Texas
1999 Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus Air Force Base, MS
1999 A-10 RTU, 358 FS Davis Monthan Air Force Base, AZ.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL, by correspondence.
2012 Air Command and Staff Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by corresponded
1. July 1997 – August 1998, Student, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1998 – October 2007, Fighter Pilot 190FS, Idaho Air National Guard (IDANG)
3. November 2007 – August 2013, Commander, 124th Operations Support Flight, IDANG
4. September 2013 – August 2014, Commander, 124th Maintenance Squadron, IDANG
5. September 2014 – September 2015, Conversions Action Officer, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, MD
6. October 2015 – September 2018, Deputy Commander 124th Maintenance Group, IDANG
7. October 2018 – October 2021, Commander, 124th Maintenance Group, IDANG
8. November 2021 – Present, Commander, 124th Fighter Wing, IDANG
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2300
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, A-10A, A-10A+, A-10C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Idaho Governor’s Outstanding Unit Citation
Idaho Service Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 26, 1997
First Lieutenant June 26, 1999
Captain November 04, 2001
Major January 07, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel August 08, 2012
Colonel October 18, 2018
(Current as of Jan 2022)