COLONEL JAMES M. HEURING
Colonel James Heuring is currently assigned as the Director of Staff, Idaho Air National Guard, Gowen Field, Boise, ID.
As Director of Staff, Colonel Heuring serves as the principal advisor to the Adjutant General and Assistant Adjutant General for Air on matters that concern the US Air Force and the Idaho Air National Guard. Colonel Heuring is the Chief Executive Officer responsible for the diversified functions including Logistics, Information Systems, Manpower and Personnel, Public Affairs, Recruiting and Retention, 266th Range Squadron, and medical and State emergency responses. He coordinates with the Idaho Army National Guard senior leadership on joint programs and activities within the State of Idaho. He also coordinates special Air National Guard programs and initiatives such as Diversity, Family Support, Employer Support, and State Partnership Program. Colonel Heuring oversees the development, execution, and evaluation of programs and policies pertaining to the command, control, and operation of the Idaho Air National Guard.
Colonel Heuring received his commission through the Academy of Military Science in December 1986 upon completion of his Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Wisconsin. Colonel Heuring previously served as an Air Combat Navigator in the RF-4C, F-4G and C-130 aircraft with over 1700 flying hours including sorties supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Provide Comfort, and Operation Southern Watch. In 2012, Colonel Heuring deployed with his Squadron to Afghanistan and successfully commanded the 455th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron for 6 months. His previous command positions include 7 years as the Wing Comptroller and 6 years as the Civil Engineer Squadron Commander for the 124th Fighter Wing, Boise, Idaho.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisc.
1986 Academy of Military Science, McGee Tyson, Tenn.
1996 Squadron Officer School
2000 Air Command and Staff College
2007 Air War College
1. Dec 1986-Oct 1987, Asst. OIC Resources & Requirements, 124th Civil Engineer Sqdn, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
2. Oct 1987-Jul 1988, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, CA
3. Jul 1988-May 1992, RF-4C Weapons Systems Officer, 190th Fighter Squadron, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
4. May 1992-Nov 1997, F-4G Electronic Warfare Officer, 190th Fighter Squadron, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
5. Nov 1997 - Apr 1999, C-130 Navigator, 189th Airlift Squadron, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
6. Apr 1999 - Mar 2002, Assistant Flight Commander, 189th Airlift Squadron, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
7. Mar 2002 - Nov 2009, Wing Comptroller, 124th Wing, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
8. Nov 2009 - Jun 2015, Commander, 124th Civil Engineer Squadron, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
9. Jun 2015 - Present, Idaho ANG, Director of Staff, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: More than 1,700
Aircraft Flown: T-37, AT-38, RF-4C, F-4G and C-130
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec 18, 1986
First Lieutenant Aug 15, 1989
Captain Feb 8, 1992
Major Dec 6, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel Sep 7, 2002
Colonel May 24, 2015
(Current as of Dec 2015)