Col. Timothy J. Donnellan is the Commander of the 124th Fighter Wing, Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho. As Commander, he ensures the continued readiness of more than 1,200 Airmen, supporting both the State and Federal mission. The organizations primary mission is to provide close air support and forward air control to combat troops from all services in support of combat operations abroad, as well as providing ready Airmen to respond to stateside emergencies at a moment’s notice. The Colonel is also a Combat Veteran A-10 "Thunderbolt II" pilot and Air Liaison Officer.
Col Donnellan was born in Tampa, Florida. He graduated from Purdue University in 1990, where he earned his Baccalaureate degree in Civil Engineering. He joined the Air Force in 1992 and earned his commission through ROTC. He served on Active Duty as a Security Forces Officer, Air Liaison Officer and an A/OA-10 Instructor Pilot prior to joining the Idaho Air National Guard in 2002. Col Donnellan has served as the Chief of 124th Operations Group Standardization Evaluation as well as the 190th Fighter Squadron Chief of Scheduling / Training prior to being assigned to the 124th ASOS in 2012. Col Donnellan has deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Prior to his current position, the Colonel served as Director of Staff, Idaho Air National Guard.
1990 Bachelors Degree of Science, Civil Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1993 Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese Air Force Base (AFB), Texas
1993 Security Police Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas, and Level 4 Air Base Ground Defense Ft Dix, N.J.
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Lead In Fighter Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
1996 A-10 FTU, 357 FS Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz.
2000 Central Instructor Course, Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz.
2005 Air Command and Staff Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- January 1992 – January 1993, Student, 54 Flying Training Wing, Reese AFB, Texas
- February 1993 – July 1995, Mobility and Training Officer, 347th Security Police Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
- July 1995 – September 1997, Forward Air Controller, ALO, Fighter Pilot, 25th FS, OSAN Air Base (AB), South Korea
- September 1997 – February 2000, Flight Commander, Fighter Pilot, ALO, 70th FS, Moody AFB, Ga.
- February 2000 – May 2002, Flight Commander, Fighter Pilot Instructor, 358th FS, Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- May 2002 – August 2012, Fighter Pilot Instructor, SEFE, 190FS/124th Operations Group, Idaho Air National Guard (IDANG)
- August 2012 – May 2014, ALO, Detachment Commander / Director of Operations 124th ASOS, IDANG
- May 2014 – December 2014, Commander, 124th Air Support Operations Squadron, IDANG
- December 2014 – June 2015, Director of Staff, Idaho Air National Guard
- June 2015 - Present, Commander 124th Fighter Wing, IDANG
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,025
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, A/O A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross with valor device
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with 6 oak leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with 4 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Combat Action Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Idaho Emergency Duty Ribbon
Idaho Service Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 29, 1991
First Lieutenant June 29, 1993
Captain June 29, 1995
Major May 01, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel November 20, 2006
Colonel January 16, 2015
(Current as of October 2018)